Why You Need Sunscreen in the Spring?
After the long, cold winter, we are all longing for the warmth of the first sunray of spring. Suddenly, without you knowing, you’re on your short sleeves, kids are now playing on the playground, more people are doing their walks and exercise outdoors, and some start tending their gardens. But most of us underestimate the risk of the spring sun. So before you take off those long sleeves and readily change to your favorite t-shirt, be sure to turn your sun protection mode ON. And here’s why you need sunscreen in the spring.
Ultraviolet or UV rays are one of the most common factors for skin cancer. But these rays are also the culprit behind wrinkles, early skin aging, and sunburns. Most experts warn us not to be deceived by the warm temperature in spring. It is a common misconception that it is fine to go out without wearing sunscreen when it is cloudy, or the temperature is warm. But without us knowing, the spring sun can also be intense. And UV rays in sunlight can pass through the clouds. It can even reflect off the snow and water on the grounds. This only means that our skin is at risk all year round. This is why it is important to wear your sunscreen this spring, no matter what the temperature and sun conditions are.
There are two types of UV from the sun – ultraviolet A and ultraviolet B. UVA are responsible for premature aging of our skin, causing fine lines and wrinkles. In comparison, UVB light is responsible for sunburn and most skin cancer. UVB rays are strongest from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m., while UVA is present whenever the sun is out all year round.
Wearing Sunscreen Tips
We all want to be protected. So we wrote down some tips to maximize our protection on wearing sunscreen.
- First, we must choose a good quality sunscreen with high enough SPF, preferably SPF30 and higher.
- Always opt for a sunscreen that provides protection both from UVA and UVB.
- Apply a liberal amount of sunscreen at least 30 minutes before you go out in the sun.
- Reapply sunscreen every two hours. Do not believe the all-day protection stint of some sunscreen brand. Sunscreen wears off after just a couple of hours. But in some cases, you need to reapply sunscreen every 60 to 90 minutes, like if you are swimming or you are sweating. Reapply also after 60 minutes if you are using a sunscreen spray because it washes off more easily.
- Use a wide brim hat and sunglasses. You can also use lip balm with SPF 30 or higher.
- Seek some shade and protect your skin between 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. Harmful sun rays are strongest during this time.
Brilliant Massage & Skin is committed to providing the highest efficacy and professional skincare to ensure our clients’ youthful and glowing skin. We always provide premier care for all our clients that booked an appointment with us. But there are some great things you can do to help improve your skin’s health after all our sessions. One sure way you can care for your skin is by wearing sunscreen daily, in spring, summer, winter, or fall.
Book for a facial or peel session now and experience the premier care we are always providing to all our most valuable clients. You can also talk to our licensed esthetician for more professional skin care tips that will suit your spring and summer activities in mind.
Brilliant Massage & Skin