Your Skincare for Winter
You wouldn’t wear the same clothes to go outside in the winter as you do in the summer, so why would you use the same skincare products and keep to the same routines when the weather gets colder? Your skin is sensitive to changes in temperature, weather, and humidity. And it deserves a little TLC if you want it to look its best in the colder months.
Going from warm, heated offices and homes out into cold winds and wet weather is harsh on your skin. Skin needs to maintain a constant supply of moisture. When the humidity drops outside and is stripped out of centrally heated indoor environments, it can leave thirsty skin screaming for a bit of hydration. The winds that often accompany wet, cold winter weather can also lead to windburn. The skin on your lips and hands becomes red and dries out.
It doesn’t help to warm up or spend longer in hot baths and steamy showers on cold days. Who hasn’t spent just a few minutes longer under a hot shower to avoid the cool bathroom air? Indulging in a hot shower might feel like a luxury, but it strips more of your skin’s natural oils. This oil helps your skin to look and feel good. No wonder your skin often needs intensive care after a harsh winter. Many of us find ourselves with dry and irritated skin that’s cracked, chapped, and flaky. In some cases, you could even end up with itchy rashes or eczema.
What Skincare Product Do You Most Need to Use in Winter?
The first step in protecting your skin’s health is to look for an excellent quality hydrating moisturizer. The best moisturizer you can afford should form the bedrock of any winter skincare routine. If you feel that your skin feels tight, irritated, or flakey despite using a moisturizer regularly, upgrade your moisturizer to one that’s suitable for dry skin. Use it even if you don’t usually suffer from dryness. Locking the hydration in and the inclement weather out will help keep the skin on your face much healthier.
It can pay to switch to rich oil-based creams in the winter. Using rich oil-based cream is better, even if you prefer lighter water-based lotions during summer. The water in the lighter lotions can evaporate off of your skin. This means that the effects aren’t as long-lasting as a more heavy-duty oil-based cream. You’ll get used to the way it feels, and in the long run, it should leave your skin feeling much more comfortable.
Ingredient-wise, look for a product that contains vitamin E, as it helps keep moisture in. Anything that has a built-in humectant is also significant for winter skin as these ingredients work to attract moisture to your skin.
Other Winter Skincare Saviors
- Even if you don’t usually use it, a lip balm is an excellent addition to your winter skincare routine. It helps avoid cracked, sore lips and keeps them pout perfect all winter long.
- Make sure that you use a gentle, creamy cleanser or milk as part of your cleansing routine daily, along with a soothing, soft eye cream that will protect the delicate skin around your eye area from the effects of the wet, cold, and wind.
- If you like using oils on your skin, treat them with pure, non-clogging essential oils like avocado oil or almond oil to nourish dry or irritated skin.
What Not to Do in Winter
Some products make your skin worse in the winter months, so you should avoid them if you want to stay feeling great.
- Anything which could potentially block your pores (is comedogenic) is a no-no when it’s cold. Shea oil and mineral are generally not recommended for more freezing conditions as they can block your pores.
- Highly fragranced products are another irritant for sensitive skin. Even if you don’t usually have sensitive skin, the winter ravages can make it more so. Avoid them wherever possible.
- Harsh products and facials are probably best left until spring – your skin deserves to be nurtured and nourished when the environment does its best to ruin it. Avoid products with alcohol in, strong peels, and harsh toners, opting instead for gentle products.
Invest in a regular good nourishing winter skincare and facial. Call us now or book online and experience the winter facial you deserve. And also, use gentle products that help lock in moisture and keep your skin healthy. That way, when spring arrives, you won’t have to go into repair mode!
Brilliant Massage & Skin