Does Himalayan Salt Work?
I have Pink Salt Lamp in my office and my home. They emit a very warm ambient light and creates a nice atmosphere. But what about the health benefits? I m sceptic when it comes to this kind of stuff. But I have found some information online that it can work to improve your health as well.
How do Himalayan Salt Lamps Work?
Water vapour is always circulating in the air of any room of your home. This water vapour carries along with it allergens like dust, pollen, pet dander, smoke particles, and even bacteria and viruses.
Salt is hygroscopic, meaning it attracts water molecules from the surrounding air. A large block of rock salt, like a Himalayan crystal salt lamp, is especially attractive to water vapour and its attached pollutants.
Once attracted to the salt lamp, these microscopic compounds remain on the salt and not floating in the air where you could previously breathe them in.
As Himalayan salt lamps slowly become saturated with water vapour they attract from the air around them, the heat from the lamp inside dries them, thus continuing the hygroscopic effect for as long as the light is on.
This heat also re-releases water vapour back into the air. Importantly, any airborne contaminants attracted to the salt lamp remain trapped there and will not become airborne again.
Occasionally, perhaps every few weeks, it’s good to turn off your salt lamp for an hour, let it cool and then gently rub it with a damp cloth to clean away trapped dust and particles. The rest of the time just leave it on and let it work to clean the air in your home.
Do Salt Lamps Really Work to Generate Negative Ions?
Can rock salt lamps produce beneficial negative ions? This is the biggest question most people usually have when buying Himalayan pink salt lamps for their reported health benefits.
The answer is yes, but not a great deal of them. Salt lamp benefits do include negative ion generation. It appears primarily from the moisture evaporating on the heated rock salt, though the photoelectric effect may also have a role in ion generation.
However, as a negative ionizer, crystal salt lamps have a limited range
Some point to the cumulative effect of keeping the salt lamp on at all times and how this can slowly generate more and more negative ions and improve the air quality over time. One reported test showed significantly more negative ions after a few days of having the salt lamp on in the room tested versus the initial test.
This may well be the case, and pink salt lamps are certainly a beautiful addition to any room. Practically though, their negative ion producing range is quite limited. Don’t expect a small Himalayan crystal salt lamp to flood a large room with negative ions.
Other Himalayan Rock Salt Lamp Benefits
Commonly reported health benefits of Himalayan salt lamps include:
- Improving breathing problems and reducing allergies.
- Less colds and flu (due to less airborne viruses).
- Increased relaxation and calmness and less stress.
- Improved ability to concentrate and work for longer periods around electrical equipment like computers.
- Fewer headaches and migraines.
- Reduced symptoms from disorders like rheumatism and arthritis.
- An improvement in skin diseases.
- Easier to get to sleep at night.
- A better overall sense of health and wellbeing.
It’s difficult to back up these claims with scientific studies, though there is of course little incentive for research to be done on salt lamps in the first place.
There are, however, two other potential salt lamp health benefits, aside from negative ions, that proponents point to that may help explain why so many people report positive effects from using Himalayan rock salt lamps.
Color Therapy with Himalayan Crystal Salt Lamps
Color therapy may not sound particularly scientific but many people report great results with it. Most often reported benefits of color therapy with Himalayan lamps include higher energy levels, a more positive mood and a clearer mental state.
Humans certainly respond well to beautiful colors so there’s every reason to believe the beautiful pinkish orange glow of a crystal salt lamp would be beneficial for stress relief.
Another potential benefit of salt lamps is that they don’t emit blue light. Most artificial light is high in the blue spectrum which has been shown to reduce melatonin production and can interfere with normal sleeping patterns.
The soft pink light of your Himalayan crystal salt lamp is the ideal soothing color to look at and relax before bed. Doing so for a while before you go to your bedroom may even help you get to sleep.
I have also purchased a salt lamp detoxifier
I purchased them mostly for the purpose of keeping my feet warm before providing Ashiatsu barefoot massage.
As well there are benefits to those warm heated salt balls as well.
What Does the Himalayan Salt Detoxer Do?
Himalayan salt works in a number of ways:
- When the Himalayan Salt Detoxer is warmed, the salt releases negative ions that are anti-microbial, air purifying, skin purifying and that promote a sense of well being. Purifying the air by binding positive ions helps dust and allergens to settle.
- The warmth of the stone causes the feet to sweat, allowing the salt to purify and cleanse. Toxins are pulled out and minerals pulled in, thus decreasing unhealthy acidity. This also helps ease tiredness, aching, and symptoms of stress caused by over-exertion.
- As well, the Himalayan Salt Detoxer softens and gently exfoliates the skin as it binds with the salt through the moisture on the hands and feet.
Nationally Licensed Massage Therapist, Burlington, VT